Hair Transplant: Everything You Need to Know in 2023
- Fast facts
- What is it?
- Does it work?
- Who is it for?
- How to prepare
- True story
|Hair transplant UK|
|Number of patients in 2022||17,000|
|Most clinics in||London|
|Average size of surgery||2500 grafts|
|Most popular technique||FUE|
|Duration of surgery||typically 6 to 8 hours|
|Shaving||required to 1mm|
|Pain levels||none to slight|
|Common side effects||temporary swelling, redness, scabbing|
|Aftercare & results|
|Recovery||7-14 days (depending on method)|
|Return to work||2-5 days|
|Exercise||from 3-4 weeks post-op|
|Hair wash||gently from 2 weeks|
|Final result||12-15 months post-op|
What is a hair transplant?
During the surgery, the surgeons transfer the hair follicles from the back or the side of your head to the balding area.
These procedures are typically performed in local anaesthesia and take several hours, depending on the size of the thinning areas to be covered.
Does hair transplant work?
Yes, hair transplants do work, and they can restore your hair with permanent results.
Follicles growing at the back are not sensitive to the DHT hormone, so they are unaffected by male hair loss.
During hair restoration surgeries, these follicles are moved to the bald or thinning areas to improve the density.
As they will remain resistant to DHT, they will continue to grow naturally.
Modern techniques available today also minimize trauma to the scalp and grafts, leading to success rates of 90-95%.
How much does it cost?
According to the NHS, the FUE hair transplant costs begins at £2000 and may go as high as £15000 in the UK.
The key factor determining the price of your hair restoration will be the number of hairs needed to carry out the surgery.
|Clinic name||5000 hairs price|
|1. London Clinic||£ 8500||4.9
|2. Wimpole Clinic||£ 7000||4.9
|3. The Hair Doctor||£ 7500||4.8
|4. The Kensington Hair Clinic||£ 8000||4.9
|5. Harley Street Hair Clinic||£ 9000||4.3
|6. Farjo Hair Institute||£ 8500||4.4
|7. Westminster Medical Group||£ 7400||5.0
|8. The Maitland Clinic||£ 12500||4.6
|9. The Private Clinic||£ 12500||4.1
|10. DHI Medical Group||£ 11000||4.2
How can you reduce the cost of the treatment?
At HairPalace in Budapest, we offer more affordable packages from £1990 to £2290, allowing you to save up to 70% on your procedure.
Every year, thousands of patients choose to travel to Hungary for their procedures. Even with the travel costs, they save thousands on the price while receiving quality hair transplants at modern, well-equipped clinics.
Who is a good candidate?
Hair surgeries offer truly transformative, confidence-boosting results for patients of all ages:
Instead of your age, your medical history and the characteristics of your hair loss will determine if the surgery is the right solution for you.
In general, you may be an ideal candidate for the procedure if:
- Your hair loss reached at least Stage 2 on the Norwood Scale
- You have been experiencing hair loss for more than 3 years
- Your hair loss pattern has stabilised
- Your hair at the back and sides of the head is dense enough to allow the extraction
Hair transplant procedure: 8 key stages
Hair transplants are minor surgeries carried out under local anaesthetic and are considered minimally invasive.
Here is what you can expect on the day of the surgery:
- Your hair will be cut short so the surgeon can see everything precisely.
- The surgical sites will be cleaned and disinfected.
- The surgeon will administer local anaesthesia to numb the donor area.
- The hair follicles will be removed from the back and sides of the head.
- The assistants will clean the follicles and prepare them for implantation.
- The surgeon will numb the top of the scalp. Then, they prepare the tiny incisions on the recipient area.
- Then, they will implant the new follicles.
- The surgeon will clean the surgical sites again and put a bandage on the donor area.
The surgeries usually take 6-8 hours to complete, depending on how many hairs you need to be transplanted.
Typically, patients have 2000-3000 grafts implanted in a single session. In case your hair loss continues to progress, you might need a follow-up procedure.
Recovery process after the surgery
Recovery after your hair transplant will be quick.
As these are minimally invasive, outpatient procedures, you can return home on the same day or the day after.
While each clinic has slightly different aftercare instructions, your recovery after the surgery will likely go as follows:
- Day 0: Remove bandages before you go to bed.
- Day 1: Start using saline spray.
- Day 2-4: Return to work.
- Day 7: Wash your hair gently.
- Day 14: Scalp must be free of scabs.
- After 3 weeks: Implanted hairs start to fall out.
- After 3 months: New growth starts.
- After 6 months: Visible improvement in the density.
- After 12-15 months: Result is complete.
How to prepare for a hair transplant
While you won’t need any special preparation on your part, there are certain things you can do to ensure your body is ready for the procedure.
It is important to cut back on both smoking and alcohol consumption for at least three days prior to your surgery.
It’s also best not to take any blood thinning medication, dietary supplements or vitamins for 2 weeks leading up to your procedure.
Lastly, you should have a light breakfast on the day of your operation. However, it’s important to skip your morning coffee or energy drink as caffeine can have a negative effect on your transplanted hair.
Everything you need to know before the surgery
Listen to renowned plastic surgeon, Dr. Gary Linkov explaining the most important things you must be aware of ahead of your procedure.
- Aesthetic change
By far the biggest advantage of a hair transplant is the aesthetic change patients experience. These procedures can help you regain your youthful appearance and self-esteem.
- Increased confidence
Feeling good about your appearance will improve your self-esteem and increase your confidence. You can see this transformation on our hair transplant before and after pictures!
- Natural look
During the surgery uses your own hair, so the result will look and feel natural. During the implantation, the surgeon will mimic the natural pattern and density of your hair to achieve full, seamless result.
- Permanent result
Hair implants provide life-long results. The transplanted follicles will not be affected by hormones causing male pattern baldness, and will continue to grow in their new place.
- Cost effective
The hair restoration surgery is a one-time expense for a lasting change. While alternative hair loss treatments are cheaper, they will remain a recurring expense, potentially for years.
- Simple, low-risk procedure
Modern techniques allow you to restore the density of your hair in a 1-day surgery. While success rates are high, these minimally invasive procedures have low risk of complications, and mainly temporary side effects.
Modern hair restoration is safe and effective when carried out by a trained and experienced surgeon.
However, they are surgical procedures nonetheless, and as such, even a successful hair transplant has potential side effects.
You may experience some soreness in your scalp following your treatment. A clinic may advise you to take medications to:
- combat infections
- reduce swelling
- reduce pain after treatment
Luckily, most side effects are short-term, causing minor discomfort in the first few days after the surgery.
The potential side effects are:
- itching and swelling of the scalp
- bleeding on the donor area
What are the long-term results?
Your hair should keep growing as normal following an implantation. But the density of the hair can differ due to:
- The quality of the hair
- The hair’s shape (e.g., wavy, curly)
- The looseness of the skin on the scalp (scalp laxity)
- The number of follicles in the treatment area
Check out some of our stunning hair transplant before and after pictures below:
The only way to effectively restore the density on the bald or thinning areas is hair implantation It is important to choose the best method to achieve the best hair transplantation results.
These procedures will not stop the hair loss, and you may need follow-up treatments in the long run. However, carried out by qualified surgeons, modern methods offer lasting results and high success rates.
Hair transplant at HairPalace – Dean’s experience
Are hair transplants worth it?
János tells you all you need to know about the pros and cons of the procedure.
- ISHRS: 2020 Practice Census Resultshttps://ishrs.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Report-2020-ISHRS-Practice-Census-05-22-20.pdf
- Kanti V, Messenger A, Dobos G, et al. Evidence-based (S3) guideline for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in women and in men - short version. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2018;32(1):11-22.https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.14624
- Vogel James E et al. Hair Restoration Surgery: The State of the Art. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 2013;1:33http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1090820X12468314
- Zito PM, Raggio BS. Hair Transplantation. Updated 2021https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK547740/